Sura (Chapter) 19: vs. 16-21
16. And mention in the Book (the Qur’an, O Muhammad , the story of) Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew in seclusion from her family to a place facing east.
17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibrael (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.
18. She said: “Verily! I seek refuge with the Most Beneficent (Allah) from you, if you do fear Allah.
19. (The angel) said: “I am only a Messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son.
20. She said: “How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?
21. He said: “So (it will be), your Lord said: ‘That is easy for Me (Allah): And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from Us (Allah), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allah).’ “
This is one of my favorite Surahs or chapters of the Holy Quran.
Not only is this Surah empowering for women, it is also a surah that speaks about this great leader we have, for both men and women. The Virgin Mary is highly regarded in the religion of Islam; she is a woman of modesty, chastity, and nobility. In the verses above, it speaks about the spiritual nature of the Virgin Mary, and when the Angel Gabriel informed her of the miracle of Jesus.
So, I am a Muslim and I take the Virgin Mary as a leader and role model.
In times like these, it is scary what people believe of Muslims nowadays.
We are not out to get you.
We do not believe that our religion preaches hate and killing.
There is simply a group within Islam that claims they are following this religion, when in reality, they are following a root of evil. They need a banner to put this root of evil under, and unfortunately, they chose this religion.
Why am I bringing this up? I have been approached by many who have told me that Muslims hate the Virgin Mary, or we are against celebrating Christmas. Don’t bring me beliefs, bring me facts. And the fact of the matter is this: The Virgin Mary has a whole chapter in the Quran dedicated to her: it speaks about her purity and ultimate form of modesty for women of all nations and times.
The Prophet Jesus (p.b.u.h.) is mentioned in the Quran to have cured the blind and deaf, and brought the dead back to life, by the permission of his Lord.
These great leaders were for all of eternity; if they brought about positivity and change to the ignorant world around them, then they are leaders.
The Virgin Mary has instilled modesty and purity in me.
She was a powerful woman, coining the term “feministic empowerment” in my view. She dedicated her life to God, but also gave birth to one of the most miraculous individuals of all time. I am a Muslim, and my role-model is the Virgin Mary, or “Maryam” in Arabic.
May peace be upon you, oh blessed mother of Jesus, the leader of women of your time.