Welcome back, friends, to Wisdom of the Week!
Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose – a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. – Mary Shelley
Ask yourself, “Do I really know what my purpose in life is?” I have found that the most depressing times of our lives are those in which we lack purpose. Our purpose is what gives us a reason to even get up to do anything. Without it, there is simply no motivation other than to survive, and barely even that. Having a purpose gives reason to everything you do. You begin to live FOR something instead of simply existing. And so let’s find your purpose together by answering these few questions about ourselves.
- Who is my hero?
- The best way we have found to begin the path to self knowledge is to ask ourselves whom we wish to become.
- How do I want people to see me?
- You could want people to see you as fair, as an expert, as a leader, stoic, fearless, or any other traits you can imagine.
- How do I want others to treat me?
- Do you want others to respect your time, do you want an open door lifestyle like ‘Friends’, do you want a small group of good friends?
- Who do I want to surround myself with?
- Do you want the energy of a city? The tranquility of rurality? Lavishness or modesty? Rebels, hipsters, or conformists?
- What do I enjoy being a part of?
- People know me for what I do. Everyone leaves me alone in what I do. Everyone listens to what I do.
- What makes me feel alive? When am I the Bomb.com?
- Making people laugh. Winning. Being popular. Doing that which you fear.
After honestly asking yourself these questions, you should have a strong idea of who you really are; at which point you can simply go about figuring out what path puts you in all of these situations. Good luck my friends, and be well.
All of this content has been summarized directly from our book ‘Inner Logic – Engineering your life. If you’d like a more detailed version of this knowledge, and the follow through of how to implement it, you can order it at: http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Logic-Engineering-Your-Life-ebook/dp/B00U5G7QQU
For a more in depth discussion of these ideas only, go to a blog I wrote a little while ago at: https://www.logiccentralonline.com/blog/finding-purpose-when-there-is-none/